Sunday, January 4, 2015

December 23, 2014 "Rayden's Birthday"


It's time to meet Rayden. I love this song and I wonder if Rayden and God had this conversation... Listen carefully to the words.

Michael and I have been at UNC Chapel Hill hospital for 3 full weeks now. Although Rayden is only 33 weeks gestation we are very excited to meet him and begin a new journey. I know he will be small. Dr. Goodnight seems to think he will only weigh around 4 lbs. My nurse, Eboni, came to wake me at 6:00am. She told me to get a shower with the special soap. We were number 4 in the OR for today but now we have been bumped up to number 1! We would be going to the fourth floor at 7:30. Michael and I frantically started calling our family members so they could arrive in time. Nanny, Papa, and Alex arrived just as they came in to tell me it was time to go. I started to get upset because Justin hadn't gotten there yet. She said we couldn't wait. Just as we got off the elevator to the fourth floor there he stood. I was so relieved.
I'm so frightened but it helps to know that my family is right here to support me. We are ready to welcome a new member into the Bradley family. He has a welcoming committee in the waiting room-Linda and Glenn Bradley, Justin and Alex Bradley, Jeff and Jane Strickland, Jan and Alan Hartness, Carl, Patsy, and Pamela Lee, Debbie Jones, and Gerome Heath. I kissed my boys goodbye and started to walk to the OR. I was so afraid to be awake during the c-section. Although they said I couldn't feel anything, I KNEW they were cutting me wide open. The OR was very small. There were only two nurses and two anesthesiologists to begin the procedure. As they were counting their scissors, etc. I began to get real scared. I felt alone. Michael was back in the room getting on his "costume" and I was sitting on the edge of the bed holding a pillow waiting for them to start the spinal block. I just burst out in tears. I didn't want to be alone. I didn't want to be cut. I was afraid of what might happen to Rayden. I just couldn't hold it back any longer. The nurse came over and started rubbing my arms and reassuring me that I would be alright as they started placing the spinal block in my back. Yes, this time it did hurt! I think she pocked me three times!
After they got everything set up and the curtain was over my chest Dr. Casey arrived. I was looking everywhere for Michael and finally he came in. He sat right beside me and held my hand the whole time. The anesthesiologist wiped my tears and rubbed my head. He kept talking about Justin and Alex, and Betsy Johnson Hospital just to keep my mind off of things. It really didn't work but I appreciate him trying. Soon they told me it was going to feel like an elephant was sitting on my chest. It actually felt like they pulled every single thing out of my body. At 9:14am I lost my breath and Dr. Casey passed Rayden to the NCCC people. He had arrived! He wasn't crying and we couldn't see him. Soon we heard a little whimper. Rayden weighed 6lbs. 3.5 oz. and was 18.5 inches long. Dr. Andrew Heling held him up for us to see. They allowed Michael to take a picture of him and then they went back to work. Michael sent the picture to Justin and Alex to show everyone in the waiting room and I started crying. I was upset because I didn't get to see him real good so Michael asked if the doctor would let me see him again. He held him
just close enough for me to touch his little hand and then he took him out of the OR. Michael continued to talk to me as they closed me up. I just wanted to see my baby and hold him. Soon we returned to recovery. I had to wait there until I could feel my legs a little then they moved me back to my room on the 3rd floor. I just wanted so badly to see Rayden. Yes, I was in pain, but I just had to make sure he was alright. The nurses wouldn't let me leave until I could stand up and make it to the wheelchair. At 2:00pm I finally got the strength enough to get out of the bed and go see him. Michael wheeled me up to the NCCC. We had to see him together! He was perfect!! Yes, he had a large head, 40cm head circumference, and two clubbed feet. He had an IV in his leg, a blood pressure cuff, a couple of wires that picked up his heart rate, pulse oxygen and respiration and was under a warmer. He didn't need any help with his breathing or anything else. We are so very thankful! He is such a fighter. They wouldn't let us pick him up or hold him. They had to keep his head elevated and still. Michael wheeled me as close to his isolet as possible. We just sat there in awe of how perfect he was. When he looked into my eyes my heart just
 melted. How wonderful it feels to become a Mom. I'm so very blessed to have felt this true miracle three times in my life. Thank you God for helping us all through this and sending Rayden to us. Thank you for trusting us with his life. We will do our very best to protect him and raise him right.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Since I'm posting first does that mean that I get to babysit first???? He is BEAUTIFUL and all of you are just beaming every time I see you! CONGRATS to the Bradley-5!

Unknown said...

He is precious!! God is so good and I am glad everything is going good!! Lots of prayers have gone up for you all!!

Unknown said...

He is beautiful Teresa! So thankful he is doing well! Praise God!

Unknown said...

He is beautiful Teresa! So thankful he is doing well! Praise God!