Wednesday, January 21, 2015

January 9, 2015 "You've got to be kidding me!!"

Rayden weighs 6 lbs. 1 oz. He is almost back to his birth weight. He passed his hearing screening today! He even drank all 53ml from his new Playtex bottle. All seemed to be going great until 8pm. As Michael and I started his care time I noticed his pillow was covered in CSF AGAIN!!!!! The doctors called the neurosurgeon on call like they always do. As we waited for them to arrive I could hardly contain my tears. I knew this meant surgery again. How could this thing be broken in only 16 days? When the neurosurgeon finally arrived at 10:30pm all the fluid built up under the skin had drained out onto his sheets. He wanted to place another stitch in Rayden's head because he just thought that his incision had opened up. (This is the first time he had seen Rayden) I explained how they have replaced the stitches twice now and how the fluid just continues to pool up under the skin until it pops the stitches out over and over again. I'm no brain surgeon but I'm sure that restitching would not fix the problem. This is the fourth time this week that his incision had leaked. After seeing the pictures of Rayden's pseudomeningocele he agreed. He left to call Dr. Elton. When he returned he stated that Dr. Elton wanted him to adjust the shunt to 1.0 and get consent to perform surgery at 8am. He stated that he was unsure if they would replace, repair, or even have to relocate the shunt all together.

Daddy loves singing silly songs to Rayden. 

No comments: