Saturday, January 17, 2015

January 3-5, 2015 "Eating is a problem?"

Jan. 3- Rayden has lost weight today. He is now 5 lbs. 9 oz. His head circumference went up to 35.5cm. He is not feeling himself today. I believe his head is hurting from the restitching last night. I held him up on my shoulder against me today for the first time. I think his stomach is hurting some too. He also started spitting up some because of the new feeding regimen of thickened milk with cereal. He threw up all down my shirt! I don't know if this is going to work or not. He's so used to water based breast milk. He only took about 1/2 the bottle each time again and they had to give him the other 1/2 in his tube. But here again, at least they tube breast milk, not Enfamil. I really want him to drink breast milk because I know how good it is for him. I understand why they are not feeding it to him, but I hope we can go back to full feeds of breast milk soon.

*As you can see in the picture below his head looks a little better. We are still concerned about the plates overlapping on top and the sunk in part in the front. They assure me that it will not always look like that
but I am still worried about the possibility of having
 surgery on his skull plates.

Jan. 4- Rayden has gained a little weight today. Now at 5 lbs. 11.3oz. His head circumference has stayed the same. They even mentioned moving Rayden upstairs to a private room soon because he is doing so well. If he could only get the feeding problem under control.

*I'm not too pleased with his bottom though. It has been red but today it is bleeding!! They have already tried everything they can do here at the hospital. 1-Sensi Care Protective Barrier #3, 2-Thick Moisture Barrier Paste, 3-Adapt Stoma Powder, 4-Barrier Film Prep with Stoma Powder AND cream. Nothing is working!!!!

Jan. 5- Rayden continues to gain weight. He is now at 5 lbs. 14 oz. His head circumference is stable at 35.5cm. Michael and I took a Car Seat Safety course and an Infant CPR course today. The hospital offers them free to NCCC parents. They offer so much to long term parents here. They are always bringing parents food, children's blankets, books or booties. These little things have really made a difference in such gloomy days.

*Dr. Sigal Peter-Wohl, the new round attending, believes there must be a way for Rayden to drink the breast milk. She knows how good it is for him and realizes that we want him to have it. I'm glad she is trying to remedy the situation.





Rayden is so loved!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been quietly following your story for a while, but I just wanted to say how happy it makes me to see you fighting for Rayden. So many would give up once formula was introduced. I know how hard pumping can be especially in the beginning when you are only getting a little bit and it just doesn't seem like much. I pumped for Nicole while she was in the NICU and it broke my heart when I found out that they had been giving her formula, but I knew it was important to keep going. So I give you huge applause for sticking with it, and for fighting for what you feel is best for Rayden! :)