Wednesday, January 7, 2015

December 24, 2014 "Shunt Surgery"


Dec. 23- Rayden was born by C-Section. He weighed 6 lbs. 3.5 oz. (Thanks to LCC for their wonderful cooking). 18.5 inches long. 40 cm head circumference. He does not need any help with breathing. He is under a low warmer, and received an IV in his leg for fluids. They did an ultrasound of his head to look at the ventricles. I wanted so badly to hold him but they had to keep his head stable so they wouldn't let me. I was crushed! Neurosurgery came late in the afternoon for us to consent for Rayden's shunt surgery in the morning. I am so frightened for him. I know he has had surgery before (on his back in utero) but I was with him. I know it sounds funny, but I feel as if I was there protecting him somehow. This time he will be all alone. Please God, stand by him and hold his little hand. Guide the surgeons hands and protect our precious miracle.

Dec. 24- Christmas Eve- Rayden received a bath with the special soap this morning. He went into surgery at 8:00 am. We were praying for him constantly. When the
nerosurgeans came to let us know he was out of surgery I wanted to go see him right away. Dr. Elton had stated previously that he may come out of surgery with his breathing tube, but he was doing so well they actually took it out! He did have two IV's now though (arm and leg). He is maintaining his own body temperature without the warmer. When Michael wheeled me up to see him I could hardly wait. His
head circumference had already gone down from 40cm to 39cm. We saw a difference in his eyes

The cutest fellow ever!!!!

right away. Yesterday they almost seemed sunken in from the bulge of his forehead. Now they are not. He also had the surgeons initial written on his head with a sharpie marker. I'm not exactly sure why. He had a bandage over his shunt incision and another over his abdomen incision. Dr. Elton also took the stitches out of his back closure while he was in surgery. The nurses are wonderful. They encourage parents to get involved with the babies care right away. They allowed me to feed him some of my breast milk with a Q-tip twice. He licked his little lips and seemed to enjoy the taste. I also got to take his temperature, and change his diaper twice. The most rewarding and exciting part
of the day came when Dr. Elton cleared Rayden to be held by his parents. He did stipulate that he remain on a pillow at a 20 degree incline though. But when they put him on that pillow in my arms I just cried and cried. This was our precious gift from God. We had waited so long to hold and squeeze him. I just couldn't contain myself. I got him just as close to me as the nurse would allow. I reached down and kissed him and my tears dripped on his little head. We are so in love with him and in awe of God's miracle power.

No comments: