Sunday, January 11, 2015

December 26-27, 2014 "Our sweet angel!"

Dec. 26- Our sweet angel lost weight again today. He is down to 5 lbs. 12 oz. We are not able to feed him yet because he needs time to develop the suck, swallow, breathe technique. His head circumference has gone down to 36 cm. We found out that Rayden and I do not have the same blood type. I have O+ and he has A-. Apparently this could lead to jaundice but his bilirubin is 11 so he is good so far. They put him on amoxicillin to help prevent a UTI because Spina Bifida children are prone to them. He is peeing and pooping just fine!! 4 stools in 24 hours so far. They allowed me to change a huge poop today, thanks! They say he is showing no signs of infection due to the rupture of the membranes. I'm so glad he feels better today. He has not needed any pain medicine.

Dec. 27- Rayden is now down to 5 lbs. 9 oz. His head circumference went up to 36.5 cm. His bilirubin went up to 12 but they are still not really concerned about jaundice. The umbilical chord clamp came off today and the nurses saved it for us. The nurse, Jennica, fed him his first bottle of breast milk. She had to show me how to feed a preemie. It is really different! But she got him to drink 5ml. and they only wanted him to drink 7ml. He's an amazing boy! Daddy got it all on video. The doctor said the had bilateral edema. I didn't know what this was so they explained that his spinal fluid is draining into his legs causing swelling. I got concerned about that but they said it was kind of like my ankles. This I understood because they are HUGE!! Propping them up just doesn't seem to help.

I was discharged today. I did not want to leave my baby! Although we were just going 5 minutes away to the Ronald McDonald House, I was so anxious. I cried, smelled Rayden's blanket Jennica gave me, and just wanted to go back. I was hurting so badly from all the walking that I took one of my pain pills and fell asleep on Michael's arm waiting for dinner to be served. They actually had steaks at the RMH! I hadn't had steak in a month! It was great, but all I could think about was getting back to the hospital to be with Rayden. We were only gone long enough to get my prescriptions filled, check into the RMH, and eat dinner, but it felt like an eternity! As soon as we returned the nurses let me hold Rayden WITHOUT the pillow! I cried and cried when they put him in my arms. Finally, I got to hold the baby I had waited for so long. The child I had carried for 7 1/2 months, 3 of which were on bed rest. I can't explain what joy filled my heart to have him in my arms. Yes, I had held him on a pillow but that's not the same as actually having him in my arms. He was so little and delicate. When he looked into my eyes I know he knew I was his Momma. I believe he could feel my heart beat and he seemed to understand my voice. What a wonderful experience. Alex was having a fit for Rayden to have a hat on his head. Santa brought him this brown and white striped hat so we brought it back for him to wear. It looked so adorable on his head.

I see you Momma!



No comments: