Monday, October 6, 2014

September 18, 2014 Multiple consults with the 'team' at UNC Chapel Hill

We arrived at UNC Chapel Hill at 11:00. Maya was our 'tour guide' for the day.
*We met with Dr. Alexander from the Spina Bifida clinic via skype. That was interesting. I took my book full of questions and he answered every one. He specifically told us that he believed our baby would be able to walk with braces and not be constrained to a wheel chair. He also told us to raise him just like we did our other boys. Not to baby him or cater to his disabilities.
*Dr. Elton, the Neurosurgeon, told us that he was 99.9% sure our baby does not have any brain damage right now. I asked him to say it over and over three times as I broke down in tears. He informed us of his part of the surgery and it is just amazing what all they can do.
*Dr. Ross, the Urologist, informed us of so many different ways they could help children living with bladder/bowel dis-function. She even said the baby may or may not have sensation to be able to urinate. So many positive comments just reassures us that maybe it's not as bad as it could be.
*Dr. Laughon, the Neonatologist, informed us of the procedures in the NICU and when they would and would not resuscitate.
*Dr. Smith, the Anesthesiologist, gave us her perspective on what they would be doing to take care of me and the baby during surgery. She listened to my heart and found I had a slight heart murmur. I've never heard anyone say that to me before so this was surprising.
*We visited the NICU, Labor and Delivery and the cafe.
We left around 4:00. Such a long day full of so much information. They really wanted us to try and make a decision by Friday.





No comments: