Tuesday, October 21, 2014

October 15-18, 2014 "Post-Op"


The past few days have been filled with every emotion possible.

Pain-They took out a lot of IV's, wires, and pipes, and disconnected me from some of the machines. I had so many holes in my hands they looked like pin cushions. They moved me to another room on another floor. I was really scared to move and it hurt so bad. When I arrived in my new room I was complaining so bad that the nurse gave me a shot of morphine. I think I died because I didn't know anything for over an hour. It actually felt nice to sleep.

Frustration-It took them 2 1/2 days to take out the epidural! This was a little depressing and funny at the same time. I couldn't feel my legs and that is such a strange feeling. The nurses had to rotate me every two hours so I didn't get bed soars. Talk about feeling paralyzed!! I couldn't even move my toes. Alex got the biggest laugh out of it. He would ask me to move my toes and I would make the funniest face trying with no results.

Embarrassment-I still had the epidural and catheter, so I was not able to get up or even move. During this time they were giving me Milk of Magnesia. Must I continue? I couldn't feel anything from my waste down. I don't know why they were trying to make my bowels move when I couldn't get up. Seems like they just asked for that one. I was super embarrassed.

Miserable- After surgery you have a lot of air pockets in your stomach. Although they continued to give me Gas-X. It just felt like a Civil War was going on in there. If you've ever felt it, you know how miserable this can be.

Overjoyed-When they finally took out the epidural and catheter it took a couple of hours, but I finally began to feel like a real person again. Scared of the pain awaiting me, but excited that I could use the bathroom on my own.

Brave- Getting up to walk out of the room was so scary, but I knew that I would never get any better if I didn't move around. The first night I only walked 1 1/2 laps around the nurses station. The second day I walked 2 entire laps that morning and 3 that evening. The third day I walked a total of 11 laps. They were calling me a rock star!

Love-I can't even begin to say how much my husband expressed his love for me during this time. He got me anything I wanted; drink, food, blankets, medicine, pillows, ice, etc. He waited on me hand and foot. He ordered my food. He fed me when I would fall asleep feeding myself. He cleaned me up and sponge bathed me after my accident, and shower bathed me when I could get in and sit down. He washed my hair, brushed it and put it up in a pony tail. He dressed me and walked with me every step down the hall. He pushed me in a wheelchair down the hall just to get some air and put a smile on my face. I couldn't have asked for a better man to share this journey with.

Comfort- Alex, Linda, Glenn, and Justin were there every day to visit us. My mother, father, sister and niece came a couple times. Our dear friend, Gerome, and our pastor, the Williamson Family, visited as well. So many others called or text daily to check on me. What an outpouring of love.

Happy- Rayden has had three ultrasounds each showing great results. The amniotic fluid is filling back up. He is eating and moving. He really is a trooper. This hasn't seemed to bother him at all. I'm the one having such a hard time. I'm so happy he is not affected and hopefully isn't feeling any pain.

Inspired- I was told there was another patient that had the same surgery the exact day as me who was in the hospital as well. I asked if I could meet her and we could support each other. It took us a couple of days to feel well enough to meet, but we finally got the strength to do so. She is having a boy as well. Their names are going to be similar. It was amazing to hear her story, so familiar to mine. Our due dates are close as well, so hopefully we will be able to stay in touch.

Excitement- When they said I could go home if I wanted, I was overjoyed. I was still in a lot of pain, but I knew I would have plenty of support at home and I would heal faster in my own environment. Michael started packing so fast. I think he was more excited than me. Yes, the ride home was a little long and painful, but entering my own house made it all worth it.

Alex entertaining us with a glove!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3

Unknown said...

Teresa and Michael,

Thank you. Thank you for letting us go on this journey. I know I've said it before but, I look so forward to reading your next post!! I think I've become addicted to you and Rayden. I've felt those air pockets and to put them in my words, you feel like your being stabbed on already beaten flesh. It is horrible. BUT, knowing that that pain is a result of something you've done for your baby..it was nothing. I know you feel the same. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.God Bless you all. Hugs, kisses, and many many prayers.

Kelly Lucas