Thursday, December 4, 2014

December 2, 2014 "OH NO!!!!"

Well, things got a little rocky today. I had some lower abdominal pain about 11:00 am. I was unsure of what to make of it. I was able to breathe through it and it only lasted about 20 min. So I recorded it in my brain and went on throughout my day. Around 3:30 it happened again, but this time it was a bit stronger. So much so that I had tears in my eyes. This time I called Dr. Goodnight. He said without any bleeding or water leakage he really couldn't explain it. So, here again, I just recorded this away and went on. Michael came home as soon as I told him of the second pain attack so I was relieved that he was there just in case. Our friend, Angie Parker RN, came to visit around 5:00 pm. We ate a little dinner and were just visiting when all of a sudden I felt something leaking. When I stood up to go to the bathroom to check it out it just gushed everywhere. I placed my hand between my legs and my hand was immediately covered in BLOOD! I yelled, "Michael, I'm bleeding!" He and Angie came running! There was so much blood!! Angie called the hospital while Michael tried to get me cleaned up to go. We waited for the hospital to call us back for about 30 min. I gushed two more times before we just decided to leave about 7. We thought we were headed to UNC Chapel Hill. When we got in the car we noticed we didn't have enough gas to get there so we stopped to fuel up. In the car, Angie and I decided it might be best to go to Betsy Johnson Hospital to make sure this was not life threatening before we traveled 1 1/2 hours down the road.

Betsy Johnson rushed us straight upstairs to Labor and Delivery to get checked out. It took hours to get a transport to UNC because they had to do an ultrasound (#13), blood work, monitor baby, give me steroid shots, start an IV, give me fluids, etc. I was having small contractions about 16-24 min. apart. The nurses were so nice; always trying to calm me down. I just kept saying over and over that I HAD to get to Chapel Hill, and somebody call Dr. Goodnight! The doctor on call didn't seem to like that very well. He was actually a little rude telling me he could do the C-section there and transport the baby away. He also said that I should have went to Chapel Hill to start with if that's where I wanted to go. Attitude!! After they spoke with UNC he came back and decided to ambulance transport us to UNC about 11:00 pm. I'm so thankful that Angie was there with us. She kept us calm and called others to inform them of the situation. I have to believe that God placed her there at that particular time on purpose.

The ambulance ride seemed to take forever but we made it. The ambulance fellow was so great keeping me entertained and calm during the ride. Just about the time they got me in a bed at UNC I felt another gush. When they looked to see what it was they decided it might be amniotic fluid. I was so upset. Of course, they tested it, and did an exam. It was confirmed fluid and I am dilated 1cm. The tears started flowing again. I just kept saying over and over "It's too early! Get Dr. Goodnight!" Finally someone did call him but the funny thing is my contractions had stopped!! So they started me on some intravenous antibiotics and did another ultrasound (#14). There is only a small amount of fluid left inside! They say that as long as I am not contracting then we can just sit and wait. What a long night!! I didn't sleep a wink.

December 3, 2014-Dr. Goodnight came in about 9:30 am. He stated that the pain and blood I was having yesterday must have been the membrane separating from the uterus. This apparently happens sometimes due to the fetal surgery. I've also been told over and over that the NICU is full and they would have to send Rayden somewhere else. Dr. Goodnight quickly and adamantly stated that he would NOT be going anywhere!!! This was such a relief! He also stated that as long as I am not contracting and the bleeding slows down our new goal is 34 weeks. I am now 30 weeks. Problem is, I cannot leave the hospital! We spoke about emergency C-section procedures and epidural C-section procedures.

I have been in Labor and Delivery on the 4th floor, but tonight they moved me to the 3rd floor. This is more of an observation floor. Although the rooms are a lot smaller, they do have much more comfortable beds.

I am really scared and worried about being strong enough to do this! God, please help me to be strong enough to handle this. I know I don't have to though, because He is strong when I am weak. Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." A friend of mine, Holly Pope, recently directed me to a song that has been playing over and over in my head today. Strong Enough by Matthew West. It is now my new motto.

3 comments:

Angela Parker said...

I'm praying... That song is so perfect. I heard it months ago on my way home from Wilmington when I had some things on my mind. I actually even shared it on my FB page it touched me so much in that moment.
I'm here if you need me.... Love you!

Barbara Mc said...

I work with Dina and have heard about you and Michael for years. Just wanted you to know that you, Michael and Rayden are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Love and prayers.