Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November 4, 2014 "Post-Op Doctor Visit #2"

Today we went for our 2nd post-op ultrasound/doctor's visit at UNC Chapel Hill. Michael's parents, Glenn and Linda, drove me so he was able to work. This visit took a lot out of me because the chairs were so uncomfortable and there was a lot of walking. I get dizzy when standing up for more than ten minutes and my stomach and back start hurting. I felt every single bump in the road on the way back. What a long day.

I enjoyed our ultrasound technician, Denise. She was so funny and explained everything so thoroughly to Linda because we told her that this was 'Nanny's' first ultrasound visit. She even gave her some photos of her very own.
Results: Good news: Rayden received all 8 possible points today! He got 2 points each for tone, movement, breathing and amniotic fluid. He breathed for more than 30 seconds. It reminded me of a child that had been crying for a while and had the 'snubs'. He moved a lot and had the hiccups again.
              Not so good news: His left ventricle grew from 18mm to 20mm. His right ventricle grew from 28mm to 33mm. He is also still in frank breech position (feet above the head).

If you look at the diagram you will see the difference in a normal ventricle and one with myelomeningocele. This build up of Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) compresses the brain which is what the fetal surgery was suppose to reduce decreasing the need for a shunt.

We are suppose to be happy about his ventricles not growing so RAPIDLY this time. Maybe next week they will stabilize and then start reducing in size. I am still upset about him being frank breech because I know this may cause him to have extra therapy when he's born. But, here again, his feet were not as high over his head this time so maybe he is starting to stretch himself out. Yes, I am trying to stay positive.

Dr. Goodnight said I was doing well. I'm still taking loads of medication and staring at four walls! I have created a spreadsheet to record my medicine and my phone alarm rings to remind me to take it. I'm sleeping well and eating VERY well thanks to my wonderful church family!! LCC is the BEST!!!!!!

On a lighter note Sunday, Nov. 2, Alex felt Rayden move. His eyes lit up when he kicked and it just melted my heart that he was able to feel his baby brother for the first time.

Next ultrasound is Nov. 11.


5 comments:

Jamie Morrison :) said...

Awesome, awesome! Yes, we can be excited about the improvements, for sure! Keep taking care of yourself, eating well, and staring at walls so everything can continue improving. :)

Anonymous said...

Good news is Great!!!! Continue taking care of yourself! Can't wait for the next ultrasound! <3

Allison Johnson said...

I'm praying for you, your family, and that sweet, sweet baby! I love reading the blog!

Felicia Smith Reaves said...

Take care and still praying.

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blogs!! Keep taking care of yourself!!! We are praying for you!!! Miss you!!