Saturday, November 22, 2014

November 21, 2014 "Post-Op Doctor Visit # 4"

Today was our 4th post-op doctor's appointment. We, as always, go into these appointments with such anticipation and hope that things have changed. This visit was no different than any other. Rayden's movements, breathing, etc. were great. He is still breech, and his feet are once again back over his head. His heartbeat was 141bpm. His ventricles have grown again! The left grew from 23mm to 24mm. The right grew from 36mm to 37mm. Just to put it into perspective for you 8-10mm is considered normal. 10-12mm is mildly enlarged or elevated. 12-15mm is severe. So what would you say 24mm and 37mm are? I know last week I said they were considering this to be stable, but that was then and this is now. Dr. Goodnight said that he was going to consult with Dr. Elton, the neurosurgeon. He just can't explain why, after 5 1/2 weeks post surgery, that his vents are not reducing. He says this is not normal, they are extraordinarily large. He also wants us to go ahead and prepare ourselves that Rayden will have to have a shunt within days of birth. This is brain surgery on an infant!! The main reason we did the fetal surgery was to prevent this. Now, they are telling us it's not working and he's going to have brain surgery? Why, why, why is this happening? I'm doing exactly what he said do...nothing!! I just don't understand.... This is so depressing and down hearting to us.


I am trying to draw strength from scripture and prayer, but it's really hard when you are the one walking this path.

Next doctor's visit is Nov. 26.

4 comments:

Felicia Smith Reaves said...

Singing, " What a friend we have in Jesus, ALL our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry EVERYTHING to God to God in prayer. Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry EVERYTHING to God in prayer.
Teresa,
As I was reading your post God put this song in my spirit for you and Rayden. God ministers to you through His Word. He also uses music and songs inspired by His Spirit. Sing this song, hum it or play it on your phone for you and Rayden. God will take care of you both. Play music for you and Rayden everyday. I am hugging you both from Angier with so much love. God will do it!
Felicia

Mrs.Rivera said...

God works is crazy ways that we do not understand. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through, but God has a plan. Nell told one time that I had to give it to the Lord and I did. He works in his time. Love you and miss you. Praying daily

Unknown said...

Teresa... I love you !! feel free to call if you need anything ... 910 890 2362 .
You're on our prayer list at Central !!

Unknown said...

I can't begin to imagine the emotional roller-coaster you guys have been on, but I do trust that God IS there with you every step of the way! I love you TONS and will help in any way I can . . . . . Keep being strong (and patient!) . . . we'll be holding him soon! (and yes….I said WE!) xoxoxo