Monday, June 19, 2023

June 19, 2023 "Seizure #12"

8pm, Our long day was over, and our evening routine was well under way. Rayden was on the couch preparing to get in the shower when, all of a sudden, he wailed in pain. I looked over to find his hands on top of his head as he wailed again. I asked if he was alright, but he didn't answer. I immediately jumped up and ran to his side. I quickly realized he was having a seizure when I saw the glaze in his eyes. He stiffened up, closed his eyes, and began choking on his saliva. I grabbed my phone to start a timer and moved the sofa pillow so I could lay him on his side. I called Alex on his cell phone because he and Michael were in the garage. When he answered, I gave one remark, "Rayden, NOW!" They were by my side in one second. Michael got the emergency medication, while Alex began to monitor Rayden's breathing. I continued to watch the timer and reassure Rayden that he was alright. He never stopped breathing this time, although it was very shallow with long pauses in between. Around the 3 min mark, his eyes began to blink and open a tiny bit. He was shaking his head to my questions and looking at the person I asked him to find. He wanted to go to sleep but I needed to know he was alright first. We asked him to count to 5 and tell us his entire name. He was able to do that so I allowed him to go to sleep on the couch while I sat right beside him for the next two hours.  

June 21- Dr. Carolyn Zook-Lewis, Pediatric Neurologist 
Studies suggest that medicines fail to control epilepsy in approximately 20-25% of children. When a person has failed to stay seizure free with two anti-seizure medications they call this drug-resistant epilepsy. It is then important to be seen by an epileptologist to evaluate why, and if there are better treatment options. Rayden has already maxed out one medication and is now having break through seizures on the second. Dr. Zook-Lewis referred him to an epileptologist to review his case. 

No comments: