Saturday, September 24, 2022

September 24 and 28, 2022 "Two more Seizures (7 and 8)"

September 24

At 4am I was awakened by Rayden mumbling "What?" twice. Then he began breathing hard and loudly. I walked to his room to find him choking and gasping for breath. I turned him onto his side and yelled for Michael and Alex. When I touched him, it seemed as if his entire body was shivering under the skin. It was a weird feeling and hard to explain. His legs were moving back and forth with small jerks but not violently shaking. He wouldn't acknowledge my questions and his eyes looked glassy and distant. After two minutes, Rayden looked up and said, "Go to bed Alex." We knew then that he was ok. I decided to lay down with him for the next 30 minutes or so just to make sure he was alright. Although all seizures are a serious issue, I'm so thankful that this event wasn't anything major. I just pray that God will continue to keep a hedge of protection over him. 

September 28

At 8pm, we were just getting back from my birthday dinner at Nanny's, when Rayden collapsed very hardly in the living room. He falls all the time and doesn't want anyone to help him so Alex and I asked from the kitchen if he was ok. He did not respond. Almost simultaneously, Michael came in the back door and picked him up saying, "No, he's not ok!" Rayden threw up all down Michael's shirt as he started to lay him on the sofa. His eyes were glassy and he had no control of his body. His head was bobbing like a newborn baby. He was slobbering and gagging like he was going to throw up again. Michael took him to his bed to lay him down. He wouldn't respond to our questions. Alex started the timer and we just kept talking to him. After about 2 minutes, he began to mumble but his speech was slurred. We couldn't really understand what he was saying. I asked him to look at Mommy, and he couldn't really control his eyes. I asked him to point to brother but his finger seemed too heavy to lift. After about 5 minutes of this, I decided to give him his emergency medication. He immediately went to sleep. I sat with him for about 3 hours making sure he was alright before going to bed myself. The next morning he seemed fine. Michael gave him a shower and we went on to school. 

This seizure didn't happen around his sleep pattern. It resembled the very first one he had back in August of 2020. I asked his Neurologist if the ADHD medication he began 2 weeks ago could have anything to do with it. Dr. Lewis said there is a slightly increased risk for stimulants such as Quillivant to cause seizures. Although, it is felt that the benefit of ADHD medication outweighs the low risk of seizures. She says it may have just been a coincidence and he was going to have a seizure anyway. She believes since he has been on the medication for a few weeks now, it is unlikely to be the cause. She wants to increase his seizure medication from 8.5ml to 10ml twice a day. (It was only 3.8ml 6 months ago!) If he has any additional seizures we will need to talk about another medication. 


No comments: