Sunday, April 22, 2018

April 19, 2018 "Optic Nerve MRI #2"

I AM BEYOND AMAZED with this precious boy!! I have been telling him all week about how they were going to lay him on a table and take pictures of his head in the tunnel. He was a little scared when I took him into the MRI room. He was shaking all over and about to cry. He told the technician, Brian, to take off his gloves. I told Brian how Rayden thinks you are going to hurt him if you are wearing gloves. He immediately threw those gloves on the floor. Rayden started laughing. He allowed Rayden to put in his own ear plugs and the two pillows beside his ears. He even played with the helmet a little before putting it on Rayden. I just knew when they moved the bed into the tunnel he was going to cry, but I was wrong. He just laid there and said "that's a loud camera." I believe my baby is growing up. He is officially the bravest three year old I've ever met!

Dr. Elton was floored that Rayden remembered he wore glasses last week but not this week! He said he is very observant, repeating it several times. He just couldn't get over it. He said there cannot be anything wrong with this child's brain if he has no memory loss!

He just doesn't see any evidence of brain pressure. His suspicion is that Rayden does not have brain pressure. He can't explain the optic nerves swelling. He doesn't want to do anything to put his shunt at risk if it isn't necessary. He just feels inclined to watch him. He says the plan is to take new optic nerve photos on May 3...
     1-If they are better, then we are good.
     2-If they are worse, he will operate on the shunt.
     3-If they are the same, then we watch his eyes on a closer basis.
     4-If his vision starts changing then he will operate.
He says he may be inclined to say this is what Rayden's optic nerves are going to look like. His brain, skull, ventricles, feet, hips, ankles, spine, kidneys, EVERYTHING, just doesn't look like everyone else's. So why are we surprised when his optic nerves look different??? Hmm, maybe he's right. Dr. Elton has told me on many occasions that Rayden doesn't follow the text books, he writes his own book. As long as Rayden is happy, and healthy, I am fine. This just reminds me that a Spina Bifida patient is never OUT of the woods. We just learn to survive IN the woods.


No comments: